Mirrors as Decorative Items for Your Homes
Mirrors, when used wisely, are not only functional but decorative. You can place a mirror into a vintage picture frame and viola! You have a great decorative item that not only adds character and panache to a room but also brightens the room and opens up the space.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when using mirrors to decorate a room in your home:
- Use mirrors to provide a warm welcome. Place the mirror in the entryway or foyer. The mirror gives your guests a friendly greeting, sort of like saying, “Oh! There you are! Come in!” The mirror also gives your visitors a chance to give one last check at how they look before going in. If the space is larger, you can add more elements such as flowers on a vase, a lamp or a small table for a more cozy look.
- Play with colors and shapes. Use your imagination as you consider your options with regards to the shape and color of the frame that will hold up your mirror. The most usual choices would be rectangular, oval or round picture frames. You can copy the shape of your windows so that you can create the illusion of having another window in the room. Some color options would be classic blacks or dark or light browns, as well as golden gilt frames or the more modern chrome, metal or colored frames. If you are going for a colored frame, you can ask the Victorian Frame Company for color samples – they can deliver 3 color samples to you at no extra charge.
- Consider the overall look of the room. Depending on the theme and the kind of look you want a room to have, you can use antique picture frames or more contemporary frames to hold the mirror. For a more modern look, you can use mirrors in oval picture frames to soften any sharp corners.
- Use mirrors in small rooms. Mirrors can create the illusion of depth and space by reflecting light into the room. Place the mirror opposite a window or perpendicular to it. This not only takes in the light but the outside views as well. You can also use a mirror in narrow staircases or hallways. With this, the space from room to room flows more easily and you get more light into the dark spaces.
- When deciding whether to use a frame, compute the overall weight of the mirror and frame. Remember that the bigger the mirror, the more difficult it will be to frame and hang the mirror. Thus, if you want a mirror that can fill one wall, you can go for a minimalist style and forego the heavy wooden frames.
- Place the mirror in an area where it can reflect something interesting. A mirror can highlight something you want reflected so study where you will be placing the mirror. Do not put it in just any wall space, where it can reflect a messy closet, dark corners or unappealing corner of the room. Rather, study the mirror’s reflection from the couch or as one is entering the room. Does it reflect your favorite piece of artwork, your accent wall or the delightful scene outside?
- Use the mirror to highlight a room’s focal point. For instance, if the room has a fireplace, you can position the mirror directly above the fireplace or propped on the mantel. You can also place the mirror behind the bed, dining table or a large piece of furniture so that you can use softer light to set a more relaxed mood.
- Consider the size of the wall space. If youhave a large wall, avoid using small mirrors. If you have to, you can use a number of small mirrors and group these together to form one big “mirror”. You can play around with a variety of frames and finishes to find what works best for you.
- Combine mirrors with picture frames. If you are planning of doing a photo frame gallery, you can add mirrors to your picture frame collage. Just be sure to place the mirrors on frames that complement the rest of the wall installation.
7th Jun 2014
Five Elements That Can Damage Your FramesWith summer in full swing, the extreme temperatures in parts of the country may have you wondering …26th Feb 2020
How to Display Your Favorite KeepsakesIf you are a souvenir collector or like to travel, you’ll want to remember those adventures by disp …4th Feb 2020
Five Fall Picture Frame Door Hanger IdeasAutumn is a beautiful time of year, and a great time to switch out your decor from the summer chic …6th Nov 2019